August 14, 2013

The Unknowns

Last year I had an amazing group of first graders!  They were curious, thoughtful, smart, flexible, and articulate.  I was blessed.  Our year together was bliss in so many ways (I particularly loved our American Symbols Unit, studying Veteran's Day together, and our weekly Class Meetings).

As the new school year approaches, I'm filled with mixed emotions -- I'm excited about the plans and goals I have for the upcoming year; but I'm also missing my kiddos who've moved on to 2nd grade; and I'm anxious about my new class.

There are so many unknowns with these new guys: Will they be creative or analytical? Will they be determined or relaxed?  Helpful?  Funny?  Loud?

This year, I'm even more nervous than usual because this is the first time, in the last couple of years, that I don't know many of my incoming students.  Two years ago, I moved from teaching Pre-K to teaching first grade, so for the last two years I've taught a number of former students.  Even before that, I often knew my incoming kiddos pretty well because the PK3s (3-year-olds) and PK4s (4-year-olds) play together frequently on the playground.  This past year, I had few interactions with the Kindergarteners so I don't know the upcoming group very well.

As I was stressing about these concerns last night (for at least the 5th time this week), my wonderful husband pointed out that not knowing my class simply means I'll have a group of kids I just don't know I love yet.

How true. (He's so smart!)  Now I'm trying to remind myself of all the unknowns I've faced in the past; there was a time when I didn't know any of my most favorite students.  Once, they were all just names on a list.  Now they are the kids that make me smile when I think of them; the ones who run up to me with hugs on the playground; the ones who wave enthusiastically when we pass in the hallway.  I know it will only be a matter of time before all these new kiddos will be added to that list too.


No comments:

Post a Comment