August 29, 2013

The First Week

Our first week is coming to a close!

The first week of school is one of the longest weeks of the year -- every activity, every transition, every procedure takes so much time to explain and execute!  I repeat almost everything I say at least 5 times, and we practice each step in our day multiple times.  Each day this week has been dedicated to important foundational activities, including defining class rules, establishing the daily schedule, setting goals, and learning primary routines.  During the course of this week our classroom went from blank walls and empty seats to essential charts and busy bodies.

As part of the Responsive Classroom approach, our school uses "The First Six Weeks of School" to pace ourselves during this important time.  But every year I have the urge to rush through my plans, especially when things seem to be going well.  Nevertheless, I'm trying to step back and reflect on where we could improve, what procedures we need to review, which expectations need to be held even higher.

Tomorrow I will ensure quiet during our Morning Warm-up and send the kiddos back to their seats when they come up to me with questions;  I will insist that they are looking at me before I give directions;  I will make them practice walking through the hallways in a straight and silent line once again.  I know it will be worth it for all the hours it will save us over the next few months when we can start each day peacefully, transition smoothly, and arrive at lunch on time.

Then next week, I will do it all over again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment