March 3, 2014

Nonfiction Reading Charts

I make a lot of charts for Writers' Workshop with tips and tools for the kiddos to refer to during writing, but for some reasons I don't have nearly as many charts for reading.  In our nonfiction reading unit, I really wanted to make some charts that could remind and guide the kiddos as they read.  Charts are also nice because they give some structure to our mini-lessons; when we have a chart to create or reference it helps the kiddos (and me) stay focused.

My goal was to create charts for the essential skills in this unit, including using text features, finding the big idea, connecting pages together, and reading with fluency.



I actually found this chart on Pinterest but, unfortunately, the link has been discontinued so I don't know where it was originally from.  I used this along with the "Nonfiction Reader Experience" lesson.  I think it was helpful for the kiddos to be reminded of the different types of voices they should be using while they read.  

This chart are definitely going to reappear each year!

No comments:

Post a Comment