November 22, 2012

The Pilgrims and the Wampanoag


Thanksgiving Stereotype
Thanksgiving is one my favorite holidays. Thanksgiving is typically one of the least commercialized holidays, but little guys still tend to pick up a lot of misinformation, especially about the Pilgrims and Indians, from images and stories.  I found an article from Understanding Prejudice which had some great suggestions for talking to kids about Thanksgiving at home and at school.  I also found this site which provides guidelines for teaching about Thanksgiving in culturally sensitive and historically accurate ways.  I used a lot of the suggestions from both articles to guide my instruction around the holiday this year.

In particular, I really wanted to be sure that my kiddos understood the origins of Thanksgiving.  We started by doing K-W-L (What We Know, What We Wonder, What We Learned) Chart.  Not surprisingly, the kiddos had random pieces of the story, including "We eat turkey" and "The Pilgrims had a feast."  However, they still wanted to know things like, "Who were the Pilgrims?" and "When do we celebrate Thanksgiving each year?"  We read the book Thanksgiving Is..., by Gail Gibbons to look for answers to our questions. The book begins by describing harvest festivals from around the world.  We discussed how almost all cultures celebrate the harvest by giving thanks for food and the land.  

Then we went on to discuss the relationship between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans.  For this, my fabulous first grade co-worker put together a SMART board presentation full of facts and interactive lessons about the Pilgrims' journey to America and the first Thanksgiving Feast.  She shared pictures of Native Americans from the past and today to provide perspective for the kiddos.  

Then she explained that the Pilgrims left England to pursue religious freedom but got off track on their voyage to Virginia and ended up landing at Plymouth.  The kiddos learned that the Wampanoag tribe of Massachusetts taught the Pilgrims how to harvest corn, squash, and pumpkins (but no pumpkin pie).  We also found out that at the first Thanksgiving they probably had a lot of seafood, venison, and wild geese, in addition to turkey.  We ended the lesson by doing a comparison of the First Thanksgiving and a traditional modern Thanksgiving.  I am very grateful for thoughtful and intelligent colleagues who are always up for examining new ways to teach old lessons!

2 comments:

  1. I love finding new, upcoming bloggers! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out my blog for all the details :)

    Oh yes, and I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so honored! Thanks for reading and thinking of me! Here’s some interesting things about me ☺

    1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
    I love having a place to store all my pictures and ideas. I’m hoping it will be a good source inspiration in years to come as well.
    2. Where is your favorite place to vacation?
    Unfortunately, I have not done much vacationing in recent years, but my husband and I went on our honeymoon to Costa Rica and that was pretty fantastic.
    3. What is your favorite children’s book?
    Just one? That’s so hard. I loved The Giver as a kid, although it’s not for first graders.
    4. What do you like to do when you are not working on things for your classroom?
    I like cooking, napping, reading, going out with friends.
    5. If you could spend time with anyone – who would you like to meet and why?
    Maybe it would be … I really have no idea!
    6. What food could you not do without?
    Bread!
    7. Tell a bit about your best day ever as an educator.
    That’s hard too. I feel like I have had a lot of “best days” this year. Back in September, I had this day that just seemed to go beautifully. It was toward the end of the first six weeks of school and the kiddos were finally getting into the routines and I felt like I was actually getting to teach (instead of just going over routines and procedures.) At the end of the day, this little girl comes up to me, gives me a hug, and says “Great class, Mrs. Werstuik.” It made my day!
    8. What would you like to have more time for during the school day?
    Read-alouds. I would love to have more time for a picture book read-aloud and a chapter book read-aloud. As it is, I barely have time for one or the other and it seems like when something has to get dropped from the schedule, it’s usually my read-aloud.
    9. What scares you most?
    Getting old.
    10. What is your favorite holiday or time of the year?
    I love the fall. I like fall holidays, the change in weather, and apples in season.
    11. What do you tend to buy too much of?
    Everything?! I’m really working on not buying too much for my classroom, but it’s hard, especially if I’m ever in a teacher store.

    ReplyDelete