October 27, 2012

Safety Tips

I am finally taking down our first bulletin board!  It's been up for 8 weeks, so it's definitely time for it be switched out, but I'm still going to miss it.  It's been a great board to start the year.  I have limited wall/ bulletin board space in my classroom, so this board is in the hallway between two of the first grade classrooms and we share it.  I love creating hallway boards with favorite characters because all the other classes who walks by get excited to see familiar books and the kiddos really remember the stories.


Never [accept] a ride from a stranger
During the first week of school we read Officer Buckle and Gloria, by Peggy Rathman.  It's a great book about the importance of safety in schools.  I've read it will multiple classes and they always get a kick out it.  Then I gave the kiddos paper stars to make their own Safety Tips for our classroom (this was my colleague's idea last year and it's a really great extension activity from the story).  

Their tips were so cute, I just had to display them!  I'm definitely going to keep Officer Buckle and Gloria to use for next year's first bulletin board as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment