October 20, 2012

Reading Helpers

One of the most important jobs of first grade teachers is teaching our kiddos how to "tackle trouble" while reading.  I teach my kids that they have a toolbox of strategies they can use as readers to help them when they are stuck.  But we all know that when you are in a tough spot, it's often hardest to recall all the strategies you know.

This year I am using "Reading Helpers" to introduce each strategy. These helpers are actually characters who personify each strategy, like "Eagle Eyes" who reminds you to look at the pictures for clues.  I have to give full credit to the newest teacher at my school who shared this amazing idea with me.  Apparently, teachers all over the place have been utilizing "Beanie Baby Reading Helpers" to introduce essential reading strategies to little ones, but I had never heard of this.    Well, thank goodness that now I have!  Reading Helpers are amazing!  Some teachers actually purchase beanie babies to go along with each strategy, but so far the posters seem to be enough.  I'm hearing conversations among my readers that I never thought I'd hear... comments like "I used 'Eagle Eyes' but the picture didn't really help me, so then I used 'Stretchy Snake' to stretch out the word but it didn't work, so I had to use 'Flippy the Dolphin' and when I flipped the vowel then I figured it out!"  I can't remember where I got all the cliparts from but I created my own posters (and corresponding bookmarks) to introduce each strategy.

I also found a few people who use Reading Helpers for comprehension strategies too.  I've made posters for these as well but we haven't introduced them yet.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I recently shared tons of *freebies* for Stretchy Snake. I would love for you to come and check them out. He sent us a package! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete