January 13, 2019

Making Time




This school year has honestly been one of my best, top three perhaps (knocking on wood!), and yet I've found it hard to stop, pause, reflect, and write about what has been going on in my classroom. Why?  I'm not entirely sure. I think a lot has to do with giving myself the time.  In this "New Year Season" I've been seeing a lot of memes, posts, and reminders to take time -- really, to make time -- for yourself, especially as a teacher. Most of these seem to be geared toward working out, which I should also do more of, but I've realized that part of the reason I hesitate at the end of the day to sit down and write about my day, and the adventures I've had with my kiddos, is that it means slowing down. The words don't always come quickly and easily, it's messy, and takes time! 

It's so much easier to just keep going, to create the next lesson, to plan the next activity, to write the next assessment. This work, for me, is easier -- and feels more "practice," "purposeful," and "necessary." But of course, as I recognize every time I sit down to write (or work out for that matter), it's just as important, if not more. And feels great -- once I do it. 

After a quick look through previous posts, I've written this same message (i.e. "haven't blogged in awhile, will write more now, blah, blah") at least three times in the past, but here we go again. 

And maybe I'll work out at some point too. 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment