August 24, 2014

Ready Or Not

School starts tomorrow!

Eight years ago, I celebrated the fact that I would never have to have another first First Day of School again as a teacher.  Well, this is now my eighth "first day of school," and it has gotten easier.  I know the routines I want to teach, I know the books I want to read, and I know that I will never really feel ready.

My classroom is ready -- charts are hanging, read-aloud books are set out, copies are made, shelves are covered.  I know most of my students -- some are siblings of previous students, some I remember from last year, and some I met at Open House last week.  I am prepared -- possibly more prepared that I have been for any other first day.  It just doesn't matter how ready the classroom is, or how many of my students I already know, or how prepared I am, it's still hard to feel actually "ready."

In 24 hours the first day will be behind us and we will be into the busiest week of the year.  By the end of the week, we will know names, routines, procedures, songs, books, rules, and will, hopefully, have the beginnings of a strong classroom community.

Ready or not...








No comments:

Post a Comment