December 10, 2013

Best Work Board

When I taught Pre-K, one of the primary bulletin boards in my classroom was always our "Best Work" wall.  Whenever my Pre-Kers produced something they were proud of, they would ask to put it up on the wall.  It was often challenging for little guys to learn to spend time on a project, but teaching them about choosing "best work" helped them learn to focus on a piece of work.  Well, the fabulous second grade teachers at my school recently made their hallway board into a Best Work board for their kiddos, and it reminded me of the importance of letting kids select the pieces they want to put on display.  

Yesterday, I talked to my kiddos about how we would create our own best work board.  We brainstormed all the things they have worked on in class - from spelling tests, to literacy worksheets, to math book pages, to reading responses, to science journals - and then they thought about what piece they wanted everyone to see.

After the kiddos selected a meaningful piece, they got to write about why they selected it.  It was cute to see the work they were excited about and the board came together really easily!

"... I worked very very very very very hard on it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment