November 3, 2013

Update on Character Education

Last year I posted (here) about the character education "program" I created for my class.  I have continued to use the acronym "STAR" to teach my students about character qualities, but this year I took it a little further.  I wanted the kiddos to notice their peers' positive behavior on a regular basis so I created "compliment cards" for them to write a note to a friend who demonstrates a STAR action (they write what they observe on the back).


The kiddos love writing and receiving these cards!  Plus, families love getting these notes home to see what great things their kiddo has been doing at school.  One mom even said she was thinking about bringing them out at home so that her family could recognize each other for strong character.

I also updated the look of the STAR posters with my new clipart!


Update on STAR Books: 

This year I used Lily's Purple Plastic Purse again to teach about "Show Self-Control."  Lily is a great example of how challenging it can be to show self-control; the kiddos definitely identify with her when they have something exciting they want to share but need to wait.  

I chose Dream Big, Little Pig by Kristi Yamaguchi as our primary teaching text for "Try and Persevere."  The kiddos and I love Poppy Pig, but I'm sure there are other books that might reinforce the importance of trying and persevering to achieve a goal a little more directly.  

I use Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie, by Laura Rankin, to teach about Acting with Integrity.  I adore the illustrations and language in this book.  The kiddos can identify easily with Ruthie as well, which is great for referencing integrity in other situations (i.e. "Remember what Ruthie had to do...).  


Finally, this year I used Jamaica's Blue Marker to teach about Responding Helpfully.  This books is actually more about empathy and perspective than about being helpful, but that's part of why I love it.  All of the "Jamaica" books are great and this one is especially powerful.  It explores such a real and difficult fact about being at school -- sometimes other kids are mean -- so I think it really hits home with my kiddos.

I'm still on the lookout for more books to use a "mentor texts" for each of the character traits that are part of STAR.  I suspect I'll need to do to review of STAR when we get back from Winter Break, so I know I'll need some new books to keep things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment