April 27, 2013

Making Words

"Making Words" is a hands-on activity that a lot of teachers use to help students practice phonics and spelling skills.  Last year, I did Making Words lessons in small groups but this year it hasn't fit in to my schedule.  I still wanted to find a way to let my kiddos play with letters though, so I created these Making Words pages.  (I got most of the letter combinations from this book.)


When the kiddos go to this Phonics Work Station, they start by cutting out the letters at the bottom of the page. Then they can manipulate the letters to create words. I give them prompts to find 2-letter, 3-letter, 4-letter, and 5-letter words.  There is also a "mystery word" which uses all of the letters. I encourage the kiddos to look for patterns by sorting the words by rhyme, vowel sound, or letter combinations (depending on the available words).

The kiddos really enjoy this station activity and often don't even realize that they are practicing phonics skills!  (I do try to point out that many of the words they make are the same words they have just learned during our Word Study time... I can't help trying to reinforce those connections!)



No comments:

Post a Comment