November 11, 2012

Veterans' Day

Tomorrow we have off of school for Veterans' Day, so on Friday I took the opportunity to teach the kiddos about this important national holiday.  This actually fit in perfectly to our American Symbols Unit in Social Studies because we've been talking about the Armed Forces and civic values of bravery and freedom.  I've really loved this unit, especially because we live in DC and it's great to point out all of the national symbols right in our city.

To begin the lesson I read The Wall, by Eve Bunting, a poignant story of a boy visiting the Vietnam Wall looking for his grandfather's name.  Some of the kiddos were familiar with the memorial, but others were excited to learn that it is so close to us.  Throughout the story, I stopped frequently to break down the story.  We talked about why people bring momentos to memorials and why family members feel proud of people who died fighting in wars.  After reading the book, I explained that we were going to write letters to veterans.  As a class we brainstormed some ideas of what to write in our letters.  The kiddos had some great ideas (like "thank you for protecting our country") and some funny ones (like "I'm glad you didn't die").  I tried to steer them toward respectful and appropriate comments but also tried to let them use their own ideas.  I told the kiddos that I would pass on their letters to veterans in our community and they were thrilled! (The adorable paper was a wonderful freebie from Fun in First.)


Our school is located across the street from an American Legion Post, and we've been fortunate to work with their members in the past for various community activities.  I thought this would be a perfect place to share our letters so I took them over after school.  I intended to just drop off the letters and call it a day, but as I was explaining this, an older gentleman at the bar called me over.  He wanted to know all about our class and how the kiddos had written the letters (he even said, "They can write in first grade? That's great!")  Then he asked if I would be willing to let them share the letters as part of the Post's Veterans' Day Presentation.  I was so touched!  I emailed with the Commander of the Post who is so excited to present the kiddos letters.  I never guessed this lesson would make such an impact, but I'm so glad it did.  I will definitely be doing it every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment