October 30, 2012

Word Work


I've been wanting to share more about my Literacy Work Stations, and since I'm home now for Day 2 of Hurricane Sandy, I figured it was a good time.

In my first post about 1st Grade Literacy Work Stations I wrote about how I spent a great deal of time trying to come up with a way to organize and plan for Work Stations that would provide sufficient challenge and accountability, but also have a predictable routine that would allow for independence.  I love what I've come up with and it seems to be working really well.
Here's a close-up on my Word Work Station:

At the start of Literacy Stations, the "captain" for each group gets the bucket for their center and takes it to the table (each station has an assigned table and the groups rotate throughout the week).  Inside each Work Station bucket are two folders and the materials for the week's activity.  The red folder is labeled "1st" because kiddos need to complete that activity during Work Station time.  There are two labeled sides inside the folder for "Blank" worksheets and "Finished" worksheets.  On Fridays, I collect all the finished work, check it, and staple it together to send home, along with a score rubric (more on that later).  The purple folder is labeled "2nd" and has activities they can do if/when they finish their 1st activity.  


Build-A-Word
This past week the Word Work activity was "Build-A-Word."  The kiddos had to choose a sight word card, build the word with Unifix cubes (with the letter written on them), and then write the word two times.  Other activities in this center have included spelling sight words with magnet letters, writing sight words in alphabetical order, using letter and word stamps to trace and write sight words. (Check out the worksheets for these).  I should mention that this center is right next to the Word Wall so the kiddos can also reference the board to assist in spelling or alphabetizing.  Each week, I give them a spelling test on the weekly sight words and I also dictate 3 sentences which contain sight words from previous weeks, so it is really important that they practice reading, writing, and spelling these words in many different contexts. I encourage families to practice with them at home as well, but I also know it is important to provide hands-on practice in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment