October 30, 2012

Investigations Math

My school uses the Investigations Math curriculum.  I was pretty hesitant about embracing Investigations last year because I had a seen some critiques of the program (such as this one from Out In Left Field), which certainly made it look like a weak program.

I have to say, though, that my kiddos frequently impress me with the depth and breath of knowledge they are developing as I work to follow the program with fidelity.  A few weeks ago we were working on solving addition word problems - a critical skill for first graders.  I love that I have a SMART board in my room because as the kiddos were working I went around and snapped a few pictures of the different strategies they were utilizing and displayed them on the board.  We had a great discussion at the end of the lesson about why some strategies work better than others and, regardless of the strategy used, why the answers should all be the same.  I think they are really learning to be fluent and flexible with numbers, while also understanding that there is a right answer that they need to reach.

This kiddo organized her pictures by making two rows.
This kiddo is using a number line to count on.


This kiddo drew pictures and then numbered as she counted all.

No comments:

Post a Comment