December 9, 2010

Kids' Quotes


While I was home sick today, I decided to try and organize some of the pre-K documents on my computer. I came across the funny quotes I've recorded from the kiddos over the past few years. Here are just some of them (names changed):



Emma: “Stevie, if you don’t stop blowing bubbles in your milk, I’m not going to marry you.”

Joey: “Teacher, Zane won’t give me the truck.”
Me: “Can you find another truck?”
Joey: “No, I’d like to play with that one. Remember, we share in this class!”


Me (to Nathan): "Nathan, when you hear a friend say 'ow!' stop right away and help him." Two minutes later Nathan trips, falls, and four other kiddos come over to help him. Nathan: "Thanks! Now I understand why it's nice to stop and help!" 
Ian (to another crying kiddo): “I know it’s not easy being four.”

Me: “Please apologize.” Xander: “No. I don’t want to.” Me: “Why not?” Xander: “Because I don’t want to be kind-ful.”

Me (to Norman): “Why did you bite Liam?” Norman: “Well, um, my brain was on Spring Break.”

Social emotional development is a fundamental skill in pre-K; I spend endless hours reading books about sharing, encouraging teamwork, and doing puppet shows about helping. It often seems like nothing is sinking in, and then, out of nowhere, will come a completely calm, heartfelt explanation for the most seemingly illogical and ridiculous action.  Then, in the next surprising moment, my kiddos' capacity for supporting and influencing each other will come to equally amaze me. Don't you just love four-year-olds!

No comments:

Post a Comment